Monday, February 22, 2010

Close, but far far away.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what is going to happen in just a few months. I will finally be a college graduate (amen), I will be moving back to a familiar place, and yet I will be leaving a place I have grown to love. It's hard to explain to people the feeling of being excited to move home, but at the same time wishing that I could stay. I know that I am going to miss Nashville. The city, the music, the people, and possibly even the weather. Strange to think that I knew nothing of this bustling, guitar strumming, honky-tonk singing city just a couple of years ago.
My expectations were so severely wrong. But amazing! Eye-opening, reality-checking, but most of all this experience has forced me to grow up in the most beautiful way possible.

I have to say there are so many things that I wish I never forget. I will list them below, to eliminate the difficulty of writing a paragraph that would be confusing.
Here they are, in an order that is all equally important. Thank you, Nashville for:

1. participating in a growing, life-long friendship with the most joyful, loving girl I know
2. giving me new friends who have given me so many great memories, and photos to cherish
3. inspiring me
4. telling me i'm not good enough (strange, I know, but this has been something that has solidified my courage and determination through music. it seems backwards but maybe i'm just crazy.)
5. showing me how to teach, adapt, and listen to children
6. all of the great places to eat. fried chicken, fried cookie dough, fried fish....it will never be the same without you.
but most of all, Nashville has given me the whole-hearted belief that the growing of love is stronger than the tearing of distance. (that's number 7)

Now it's time to grade essays and write lesson plans. I'm not even a teacher yet!
-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Patrick and I will lend you some sugar. How many cups do you need?

    ReplyDelete